Monday, May 25, 2009

Route for First 2 Days

The first two days of the Transversal (June 6th and 7th) will involve kayaking on Lake Superior. I'm still experimenting with a good way to post the map online without drastically reducing its quality, but for now I will include a link. I will be using the Lake Superior Water Trail, which can be found online at: 

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/kayaking/lswt/index.html

Click on "maps" on the above page and then focus your search to mile 42. This corresponds to Split Rock Point, where I will begin the first day. The goal is to make it to Agate Bay in Two Harbors, MN (mile 25) for a total of 17 miles of kayaking the first day. I plan to be on the water between 6:30 and 7 a.m. and average between 2-3 miles per hour. This means that it will be a 6-9 hour day on the water. 

Day two will begin where day one left off (Agate Bay). I hope to reach mile 0 of the Water Trail corresponding to Franklin Park in Duluth which would mean 25 miles of kayaking. However, my plans may change depending on the activity of large shipping vessels in the port. I don't want to be competing for space with the gargantuan boats, so if I deem it too dangerous, I will stop at Brighton Beach (mile 6) and then run the last 6 miles. 

Again, the landmarks and mile markers I am referencing can be found by following the above link. Hopefully I will soon find a way to import a quality picture of the map. 


No comments:

Post a Comment